Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Ugly, the Bad and the Good

The Ugly:
Thursday December 9th at an away game for the Idaho Stampede Jason hurt himself during the third quarter. I, the good wife, was watching online and saw it happen...groan. I have been watching Jason play basketball for 10 years and have never seen him not get up. Sure he has taken some ugly spills but he usually pops back up and is good to go. Well this night he was down. The trainer ran over and they were talking and looking at his leg and I just kept thinking, "oh God don't let it be his knee". After a few minutes he was helped to the sideline by a teammate and his trainer, another first, and didn't return to the game. Fast forward what felt like forever and I finally got him on the phone. He had already been looked at by a doctor and he was feeling pretty optimistic. He had no pain in his leg and he suspected just a sprained knee but said he would probably play in the next game.
The next day he went to the doctors in the morning and had an xray to make sure there was no bone chipping. The xray looked good but he was feeling pretty stiff and an MRI was scheduled for the next Monday back in Boise.
The Bad:
The MRI was very early in the morning and I was not able to go since I needed to get Quincy off to school. By the time I got home Jason was done with the MRI and had already seen the doctor. Bad news, he had torn the ACL and both meniscus in his right knee and surgery was scheduled for the 28th of December. In a blink of an eye the season he had worked all summer for and had so looked forward to was over.
The Good:
Jason has one of the most positive attitudes of anyone I know! He has been a pillar of strength for me when I should have been his. He is mentally preparing for surgery, recovery and rehab. We have an amazing support group here in Boise. Even though this was not the outcome we wanted we continually see so many positives.
We would appreciate all your thoughts and prayers come the 28th and beyond! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and God Bless!!

2 comments:

  1. We love you guys Christine and we are praying for a fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Good" made me want to cry. The things you said about him were so sweet, and I know how much you mean them. This will be but a small snag in his career. Go Team ELLIS!!!

    ReplyDelete